Avoiding the "Brrrrr" How to Winterize Your Home
When that first winter wind hits you in the face and sends a shiver from your head to your toes, you know it's time to fortify your home against the cold! Although many people think that their house stays "warm enough", there are several things you can do to improve the efficiency of your heating system to keep your loved ones cozy all winter long!
- Furnace Maintenance. While the sound of it may turn you off, the truth is you’ll spend a little money now and it will save you a lot in the future. Not only will it help your furnace operate on fewer resources, it will also prevent the furnace from dying unexpectedly some frigid night when the last thing you want to do is deal with repairs. Simply have your furnace inspected once a year and remember to change the filter every month or so.
- Insulating Windows. Although this may take a little bit of your time, it will save enough money to make up for it! You can purchase window insulating kits from many stores; and, if they are applied well, you can hardly tell they're on. Just take your time and do it right.
- Adjust the Thermostat. If you know that you'll be out of the house for any significant amount of time, be sure to turn down the heat. If it's too hard for you to remember, you can install a programmable thermostat and set the time that you'll be gone at work every day, or whatever schedule you like. It won't take long to heat the place up again!
- Ceiling Fans. Usually fans have a switch to determine which direction the blades spin. Remember that hot air rises; make sure that your blades are pushing the air down so that the heat is put to its optimal use.
- Bake Cookies! Although this may seem like an unusual piece of advice, it is surely bound to make everyone happy, as it creates a cozy quality-time experience that will fill your home with heavenly aromas.
For any more tips on how to prepare your home for winter, contact us. We specialize in preventative maintenance as well as many types of repairs and ongoing chore services. We will be happy to serve you!