How to Winterize Your Home for a Cozy Season
Winterizing your home will make a chilly season more tolerable on your comfort and your checkbook. Follow these tasks yearly for safety reasons, to save money on heating costs, and to maintain your home properly.
Get the Most out of Your Heat:
- Insulate pipes and hot water heater. The warmer you keep the pipes and water heater, the warmer the air remains while flowing through them.
- Add insulation. Mainly to any areas void of insulation or that are not insulated properly.
- Caulk and spray foam. This is helpful around door frames, windows, and sliding glass doors.
- Eliminate other drafts. This can be done by blocking the bottom of doors with "draft snakes" and applying plastic to windows.
- Reverse ceiling fans. By utilizing your ceiling fans on reverse, the heat circulates throughout your house.
- Shut off or block vents. Especially any vents that are unnecessary (spare rooms).
Quick & Easy Fixes:
- Change furnace filter. Do yourself a favor and buy a multipack so you can responsibly change your filter every 4-6 weeks.
- Use programmable thermostats. These range from reasonably priced that you can program, or you can really improve your home technology and get a wi-fi capable thermostat that you can access from your phone. Regardless, any of them are great money savers over time.
- Drain hoses, rain barrels, and any other water containers. Remove hoses from outdoor spigots, drain them, coil them up, and store indoors. Make sure all outdoor water spigots are turned off.
- Keep gutters clean. Water built up due to clogs in a gutter can get messy once a thaw occurs.
Miscellaneous Helpful Tips:
- Clean your ducts. You can do this yourself if you feel they're not too bad with a vacuum cleaner. But if you have pets and/or have never cleaned your ducts before, you may want to determine a thorough cleaning solution. This will eliminate dust and "stuff" from blowing around your home.
- Use humidifiers. Especially throughout your home, or consider installing a humidifier onto your furnace.
- Order propane during off-peak season. That’s when you’ll get the best deals, and check your levels regularly to ensure you do not run out!
At All Chores No More, we are here to assist you with your maintenance and preventive needs. Contact us today so we can help make your winter relaxing and warm.